Song of the Thorn Bird

Song of the Thorn Bird

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Mad Hatter's Choice

Once upon a time, women adored
a man in a top hat
donned in black tie and tails
sauntering with a gentleman’s cane
with a gentleman’s air.
      Good Evening!
      Enchanté.
      You look lovely this evening.
      May I have this dance?
      After you.
      You dance delightfully.
      May I call on you and your family later this week?
      I have your father’s permission to make you my wife.

Call me Mad as a Hatter, but I prefer the
man in faded jeans
dressed in white oxford, untucked
walking with confidence and contentment
with a gentle man’s heart.
      Hey, babe!
      So good to see you.
      You look amazing tonight.
      Let’s dance.
      Take my hand.
      It feels good with you in my arms.
      C’mon, love, let’s go on home.
      Will you share the rest of your life with me?

Yes, Mad Hatter that I am,
I much rather prefer the man in faded jeans…..

   Inspired by Magpie Tales.

22 comments:

Kalei's Best Friend said...

Most definitely!. Well done, Lisa.. U are definitely on a roll here...

Real Dads Hangout said...

I wear faded jeans!!

Catalyst said...

Ah, Lisa, you're just a modern woman! Good writing!

Harvee said...

Clever piece. I enjoyed it.

Harvee
Thisandthat

Brian Miller said...

the jeans are a whole lot more comfortable as well...as i am sure is the company. nicely done Lisa!

Lyn said...

I like this..happy endings either way! Thanks..

Tumblewords: said...

So right!!

Simonides said...

Oxfors are nice to knockabout - but give me a man in Egyptian cotton any night out. And as a rule an Oxford should always be tucked in? I mean it would look simply sloppy as sin hanging out and about. Don't you really agree? thats how it should look if he had a pedigree.

Jingle said...

you did it with lovely or funny conversations in a poetic form...

perfect magpie!

Jingle said...

http://jingleyanqiu.wordpress.com/2010/04/27/magpie-tale-the-magical-wish/

mine is here.

joanna said...

The heart wants what the heart wants-- it knows no reason... Sigh,

A lovely love tale.

Joanny

Jennifer said...

I'm with you Lisa - like the "real" men! Fun poem and great presentation.

Peter Goulding said...

Oh I'd go for the money every time, shallow person that I am!!

steviewren said...

I'll take one of those men in faded jeans! Put me on the waiting list please.

Wordwand said...

a great poem, well patterned varied in sentence types : it's a challenging poem.well done

Rajlakshmi said...

well written poem... very creative and witty :)

The Bug said...

I enjoyed this - it sort of echoes my take on the prompt this week.

Brian Miller said...

just an fyi...your poem is listed as a fresh new face on the poets rally this friday...nice.

moondustwriter said...

Nice touch the faded jeans - I like the cowboy hat too - added bonus

way to go woman

I'm at moondustwriter.com

joanna said...

Lisa

Thanks for the comment -- on my blog I got a BIG laugh out of what you said you made my day , all you say about the Phantom is true -- I was trying to do a dark piece instead of all sunshine and butterflies and I guess I did.

Anyway thanks for visiting your comments and thoughts are appreciated.

Joanny

Anonymous said...

Fun post! But the top hats do sound appealing... I'm here from Jingle's Rally.
http://mairmusic.wordpress.com/

Shriti said...

that's really beautifull :))